11/19/2007

Buy Nothing Day!


I am a lover of Black Friday. I love the excitement of people rushing out to buy the greatest deal ever. Last year, as people were swarming into Target to fight of the three electronic items that were available, I got in the shortest line ever... Starbucks. No one wanted coffee, they wanted the deal.

So now, in opposition to Black Friday, there is Buy Nothing Day. On November 23, people are to ban together to buy nothing. There are even some cute ideas, like cut up your credit card protest and buy nothing samples. The purpose is to stop shopping and go green. It is for people to "escape from the marketing mind games and frantic consumerism that have come to characterize modern life."

But do they go shopping on Saturday?

The other interesting thing is this coincides with the biggest shopping day in the US- Black Friday- but takes place in the UK and Canada... they don't celebrate our Thanksgiving- so is it Black Friday in other countries too? Actually, the North American date is November 23. Internationally, the date is November 24.

I am not going shopping this Friday, but I may shop. The Buy Nothing Day is a great idea, but I want to get the kiddos gifts and the deals are good.

I will consider it.
Click here to support breast cancer research by purchasing an original Breast Cancer No Excuses T-Shirt

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com