8/15/2007

The Day Care Culture

I am a teacher. This is my eighth year teaching, skipping 4 years in between to stay home with my children. Now, I am on the other side. I am the parent and have to follow the rules and regulations of a school. This is not the easiest adjustment, especially when I know a few things about preschool.

The first thing I am having difficulty with is trying to find food that my children will eat at a scheduled time. I know they will adjust, but there are rules for eating. Today, their pop corn got sent home. The other days, they were not allowed to eat their fruits snacks. And my milk addicted son did not finish his milk during lunch and of course could not take it with him. My daughter has come home hungry and he has come home thirsty. I know they will get used to it, but until then, I feel like they are starving and dying of thirst!

The second thing is that my son, just 4, was sent home a list of sight words. While I want him to learn to read, I don't think now is the time. Sight words start at KINDERGARTEN, and even then, not at the beginning. I am worried he will be stressed or they will expect a drill and practice routine. I do not believe children need to read at four. If they do, it is great, if not, let it be!

Those are the two major things so far. "School" actually starts next week, so they will have a teacher, not a day care personnel. I am hoping I have a change of heart, because right now, I am confused about letting someone else be with my child more hours per day than I am. Many people do it, it just was not in my plan.

A good thing is that I do love my job so far and I am looking forward to it. Since I have to work, I could not have asked for a better position with a better list of responsibilities. As the weeks go on, we shall see!

2 comments:

Joelle said...

So sad that they want to start kids "reading" so young...especially the boys.

Betsy said...

You are doing the right thing for this moment in time!! Plus, you're doing a job that you are naturally talented at..research!!

Keep up the good work!

 
design by suckmylolly.com