6/11/2007

TV Encouraging Exercising!

I do let my kids watch TV, but the are limited to what they watch, more than when they watch. When it is 100 degrees outside, I do feel we can stay inside and do some t.v. time.

One of my favorite channels is Noggin. No commercials, preschool on t.v., etc. And the shows are really educational, or at least without violence. They even have music in between shows and show "field trips" and cooking demonstrations. It is really a great channel from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. Our favorites of course are Diego and Dora, The Wonder Pets, and Oobi.

Diego and Dora are also on Nick Jr. I don't like that channel as much because there are commercials for toys and things which give my children too much to ask for!

What I find funny is that for the summer, they encourage exercise! It started a few years ago with Lazy Town, a show about kids that only play video games and watch t.v. During the commercials they would encourage some moving around. I just heard it again today on Nick when we were watching Dora- "get up and run in place." I just find it funny because they really don't want children to leave, but they are getting them to move while they stay! If the children actually did go play, who would watch the shows!?

But exercise is important, even if it is for a few minutes between shows. What if adults did a few minutes each commercial break? We would probably lose a few pounds a year!

2 comments:

Amber Bishop said...

our kids love wonder pets too:-) We don't get noggin but my mom does and the kids beg to go over and watch wonder pets:-)

Betsy said...

I think I would be lost without the noise in the background of Dora or Diego. I often find myself saying "backpack" or "the map". What is wrong with me. Great, now I have those tunes in my head!!! "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the MAP"!!!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com