4/01/2007

A one year anniversary!

Yesterday was a very special day. It was the one year anniversary of my husband's kidney transplant. And for those that don't know me, my mom gave my husband a kidney! He has had a wonderful year without any problems or complications. He and my mom recovered well, although he was out and about in a week and she took a few more weeks to feel somewhat normal. The whole story is amazing, with the most amazing being that Rick and I were a blind date, my mom could not stand him at first, but grew to love him. She was the first to get tested for compatibility and matched. She was 54 when she donated. Rick has polycystic kidney disease which make the kidneys grow with cyst that take over the kidney function. He had his transplant at Lifelink in Tampa, Florida. He continues to have doctor's visits and blood drawn, but other than that, you would never know- unless you knew him before and he looks so much better now! If you are ever confronted with a relative or friend in need of a kidney transplant, don't let fear stop you from being tested. A person needing a kidney transplant can wait for years. Check her for the Living Donor FAQ. As of today at 9:55 pm, there are over 95,816 people waiting for transplants. You also find info on being a donor at http://organdonor.gov/.
And, by the way, PKD is a genetic condition and fairly common. My kids could both have, and I pray that they don't. But I will be ready to hand over a kidney if the time comes!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com