4/03/2007

A neat craft idea from my friend Lisa.

My friend Lisa sent this to me today...
The homemade chalk worked today! If you are interested in doing this with your kids......


Take a plastic easter egg and coat the inside with vaseline. I also tried Pam and it did not separate as easily.

Mix about two parts plaster of paris to 1 part water. Kids can do this in a plastic cup with a plastic spoon. Otherwise use something disposable - trust me you want to throw it all away in the end. I bought a bowl and wooden spoon at the habitat place for 75 cents! To color the mix add a few tablespoons of paint. Online it says tempera paint. I used acrylic and it worked fine. You get a pastel color. Mix it all up and then start filling both sides of the eggs. Pack it in so there are no air bubbles. put the two halves together. Tap it a bit to make it stick together and let it sit for they say 24 hours. I opened my first one in about 8 hours and it did come out. After you get it out it needs to sit for awhile to dry some more. It still feels damp. You can mix colors - like one half yellow one half green. A chemical reaction happens so let your kids feel the eggs after a little while they will be very warm. DOon't pour any of this down the drain it will harden and clog your pipes.


For regular chalk shapes they say online to: put duct tape on the end of a toilet paper roll. Line the inside with a piece of wax paper and fill it.

I found you either have to twist the plastic egg off or tap it with a knife and the plastic egg will crack then you can get it off.

Eli's class had fun doing this. Slightly messy but good fun - I suggest filling outside in the yard :) We did it at the school patio tables with some banner paper down. Then just hose off your kids!

If your really into this one website has you crush eggshells for the powder! I can't imagine how many eggs you'd have to crush to do this!!!

Love
Lisa

For more egg activities visit ChildFun Family

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com