7/14/2008

Some Great Brownies

I made homemade brownies this weekend for a party- so great! And so easy!

Then I took it and made it a "deceptively delicious" recipe today...

1/2 salted butter, melted
1/2 cup pureed butternut squash or sweet potato
1 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour (unbleached flour)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp wheat germ
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Melt the butter. Cream with the puree and sugars. Add the eggs, flours, wheat germ, vanilla, and cocoa powder and mix until combined. Add chips and gently combine. Using a 9x9 pan (I used a stone), cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.

Yummy and almost healthy! My kids and hubby love them. And you cannot taste the squash at all!

My Savings Inventory:
1 box that the brownie mix would have come in
1 plastic bag the mix would have come in

The cost was probably close to buying brownie mix in the store since I used higher priced products. But I had everything in the pantry, fridge, and freezer already, so that saved the gas of going to the store. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eat these the first day or they do taste like squash- in my opinion... my hubby still ate them the for two days.

Anonymous said...

I love brownies and these sound very good. I just might try them.

 
design by suckmylolly.com