3/24/2008

Downsizing and Budget Cuts

This is my first year back to teaching. And with Florida's budget crunch in educational, people without tenure are not guaranteed a job for the coming year.

That was the message I received today. My position as a gifted resource teacher for middle grades will not be allocated for the coming year. I am not at all worried- I know a job will be available, but I am disappointed. I am very good at my job! And to think they think they can do it without me makes me sad (I am the only person in our county in my position).

I am eagerly awaiting to see what jobs become available and what jobs I am interested in. I know I prefer middle school, but that may be a thing of the past. I have taught many things in many grades- and I am certified in exceptional student education and middle grades integrated (meaning I can teach anything in middle school or 9th grade). I am sure something will come up that is good. This was a great job for my first year back and I am thankful for the flexibility and the experience I have gotten!

Click here to support breast cancer research by purchasing an original Breast Cancer No Excuses T-Shirt

2 comments:

Betsy said...

BOOOOO...I was hoping to hear you were going to stay home! But I also know we need good teachers, like you, in our school system! I know the right position will come along:)

Steff said...

I was really disappointed to hear about their decision to do this. Don't they realize that the middle grades are where they are losing them? So many kids with so much potential get neglected in MS and end up doing nothing. So sad. And you were just the perfect person to help them succeed.
Good luck with your next endeavor.
Steff:)

 
design by suckmylolly.com